INDEX OF NAVAL AIRCRAFT
DH 60 Moth
The De Havilland DH-60 Moth was the first in a long line of extremely successful light sporting biplanes. DH Moths were used for several long-distance flights, including two from England to Australia in 1929, and a flight across the Tasman Sea in 1930.
The first DH-60 flew on 22 February, 1924 and on 5 July, 1927, a DH-60 piloted by Lady Bailey achieved an altitude of 5,275 m. Moths went to Canada in 1927 and were used in the Hudson Strait Expedition.
The Fleet Air Arm received a total of 6 DH 60 Moths both ex RAF and various impressments. The majority were impressed from the Hampshire School of Flying, the first being received in May 1939 to 769 and 767 squadrons at Donisbristle. The aircraft were primarily used by the squadrons at Hyeres and for deck landing on HMS Argus early in the war. The last saw service with 759 squadron at Eastleigh in October 1943.
Fleet Air Arm history
De Havilland Moth
Total FAA 1939-1945: 6
First delivered to RN: 1939
First squadron 1939 -1945: 769/767 sqdns
First Operational Sqdn: None
Last served with RN 1943
Battle Honours and Operational History
None with the Fleet Air Arm
A dozen or so DH 60 Moths survive around the world, including about 7 in airworthy condition. Examples of preserved aircraft can be found at the Blue Max Movie Aircraft Museum (UK), Woodford collection (UK), National Aviation Museum (Canada), and a few in private hands.
De Havilland Moth G-A.. preserved uin airworthy condition (UK)
Moths advertised for sale in 2000 in the de Havilland Moth Club Moth online Magazine.