INDEX OF AIRCRAFT CARRYING SHIPS
HMS LEANDER was built in His Majesty's Dockyard Devonport, England, being the name ship for a class of light cruisers. She was laid down on 8 September 1930, launched on 24 September 1931 and commissioned into the Royal Navy on 23 March 1933. The ship was acquired by New Zealand, on loan, along with a sister ship HMS ACHILLES, to replace HM Ships DUNEDIN and DIOMEDE, respectively.Aircraft: 1 x Supermarine Walrus
LEANDER commissioned into the New Zealand Navy at Devonport, England on 30 April 1937. During the subsequent workup period she attended the Coronation Review at Spithead on 20 May 1937.
In what was New Zealand's first act of the Second World War, LEANDER departed Auckland 30 August 1939 for Fanning Island in the central Pacific, to land a small garrison. This deployment, prior to the outbreak of hostilities, was in anticipation of a possible repeat of the destruction by German Naval Forces of the transpacific cable link in 1914.
FURTHER INFORMATION Unofficial Royal New Zealand Navy website Details of the Walruses on HMNZS Leander in 1942 Royal Navy warships. In Warships1.com Includes ship details and specifications WW2 Cruiser operations Tribute website